Vidos Island

Ask a question regarding Corfu Town or Assist others to find the answer to their questions.

Moderator: Al

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Vidos Island

Post by Chris » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:21 am

The following news article was taken from the online Greek/English media "Corfu Today" dated, 23rd January 2009.

Meeting on the Enhancement and Maintenance of Vido

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Vp2ED7IXgQY/S ... C07432.JPG

Preliminary meeting on the preservation, enhancement and development of the islet "Vido" held in City Hall.

The meeting was chaired by the Mayor of Corfu by Sotiris Mikalef, attended by former Mayor Mr. Kourkoula, the Public Advisor Mr Gardikiotis, representative of TEE (part of Corfu), the chairman of the Chamber, representing the Greek Parliament Scouts and the chairman of the Association of Travel Agents.

As stated in the media responsible for the municipality public. Consultant Gardikiotis, decided the following:

• To be submitted written proposals to the next meeting, to prepare a comprehensive plan for sustainable development with the preservation of the pillars of social activities, improvement of buildings with the restoration priority of Government and the general improvement of all the infrastructure of the island.
• Also creating soft and environmentally friendly measures to increase traffic and find ways to create revenue for the municipality.

As long as they do not try and over run the island. The people who run the Taverna/Bar and Boat Service do a good job. However, I think in general the island could do with a bit a clean up, and maybe just something appropriate added to Vidos.

Yeiamas, Chris

Alecko

Re: Vidos Island

Post by Alecko » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:12 am

I have been to Vidos two or three times Chris on day trips from Kassiopi. Unfortunately you only get about two hours there, not really long enough to have a good look around. I don't know what the big imposing building on the island used to be but it is going to rack and ruin these days. It must have been really grand years ago. The Church though, is really beautiful and well kept. I don't know if it is used or not.

The taverna, as you say, is well run and I would have liked to have spent more time there as it is in a nice setting. It is run by an English lady Jill and her Greek husband. Jill is the sister of "bobbo" who is a member of this site.

Alec.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Alecko wrote:I have been to Vidos two or three times Chris on day trips from Kassiopi. Unfortunately you only get about two hours there, not really long enough to have a good look around. I don't know what the big imposing building on the island used to be but it is going to rack and ruin these days. It must have been really grand years ago. The Church though, is really beautiful and well kept. I don't know if it is used or not. The taverna, as you say, is well run and I would have liked to have spent more time there as it is in a nice setting. It is run by an English lady Jill and her Greek husband. Jill is the sister of "bobbo" who is a member of this site. Alec.

Elaine and I have been to the island on two occasions, actually on recommendation originally from Bobbo. We took the boat from the Old Corfu Town Port across to the island. This cost approximately €1 each (each way I think). We had such a tranquil, picnicing, beach time, walking the island. The delapidated buildings are the remains of either the Corfu Prison, a sort of an Alcatraz type prison. Prisoners were sentenece on the mainland then tranferred by tunnels to the island. Once the Venetians left the island, the French, followed by the British took over, building many fortresses, which were subsquently raised to the ground on leaving. Even the church of Agios Stefanos was damaged, but looks to have been restored from looking during our visits.

Staying in Kontokali, makes it easier to get to Corfu Town obviously, thus giving much more time on the island to enjoy its many species of Flora and Fauna. The Taverna owned by Jill and her husband is wonderful to relax, and have a deserved cool drink and a bite to eat.

I would like to see the island cleaned up a little, and at the most maybe some of the structure being restored to show off the history of the island, but not too much as to take away the beauty and its transqulity. I would certainly recommend it for a wonderful quiet day out from the normal.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:09 pm

The following article was taken from the Greek and English online newspaper dated, 26th February 2009. It is good to know that there is a plan in place if there was ever such a disaster as a major fire on the Island of Vidos. This is so wonderful and full of wildlife and flora, and is a place of peace and tranquility.

Yeiamas, Chris

Exercise Fire Safet for Vido

Under the best operational readiness and cooperation of stakeholders and services for emergencies, 24/2.2009 held Tuesday at the premises of the Fire Department of Corfu, the exercise on paper with the name «PYRSOS 2009».
From the Municipality of Corfu attended by Deputy George Gardikiotis and Head of Civil Protection of the Municipality Mr Alekos Michalis.

The operational plan of the exercise was a fire in the island of Vido, in August, under difficult weather conditions.
Evaluated and analyzed all aspects of dealing with such an incident, so now to have the best possible safety and operational readiness for the coming season, which will be increased traffic at the camp of the Municipality of Corfu.
Discussed the method of direct transfer of motor forces soldier and fire at Vido, in cooperation with the Port Authority of Corfu and the immediate merger of cantonment in a safe place. Also discussed the possibility of direct and secure their removal from the island. For this reason, be decided next week at Vido, a meeting of heads of relevant departments, so these problems can be seen in their natural space and to launch appropriate solutions. Finally set to take place in May in pursuit of actual conditions in Vido in cooperation with the Fire Department Corfu.