Welcome, and First visit Information

Ask a question regarding Agios Gordios, Pelekas, Glyfada & Sinarades or Assist others to find the answer to their questions

Moderator: Al

fat hen

Post by fat hen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi Chris, and thankyou for the welcome. I have booked a holiday in October at Aquis Agios Gordios beach, and would be interested to know of any archaeological sites in the area that are worth a visit, as I know nothing about Corfu any info would be helpful :roll: I am not really a beach holiday sort of person so anything of any interest on the island would be of interest, hiring a car for longer journeys is not a prob. Ta Liz :razz:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi Liz.

I have just got back in, but I will do some research for you tomorrow, and place any information I find on the appropriate topic thread. Thank you for calling back.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:28 pm

Liz

Corfu is not known for its archeological remains there are some but I don't know where. I share your enjoyment for that sort of thing my self but because of the absence of it in Corfu have never looked for it. You could try place like Angelo Castro which is a Fort used by the locals of Paleiocastritsa as protection against Pirates.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Welcome, and First visit Information

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Liz.

As Roger has said, although Corfu is steeped in history, there is not much in the way of what you are looking for. However, having browsed around, I have found some things that maybe of interest to you. One must remember that Corfu came under the ruling of many, including the Venetains, French, Ottomans, British, and much more. So in theory one would find many different things, that would not be related to Greece as such.

Archeological museum

ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM - CORFU

Corfu archeological museum has only exhibits from B.C Corfu. There are numerous exhibits that you can see and all of them are extraordinary but the best is the Temple of Artemis which is dated since 590 B.C.

Information: Telephone 2661030680
Open hours: Tuesday to Sunday 8:30am to 2:30pm.
Admission: Adults 3€, Kids and students 2€

Achilion Palace

Achilion palace was build by the Empress Elizampeth of Austria in 1890. The palace is build in a neoclassical style of architecture. Inside the palace you can admire a numerous arts from well known this time artists from all over the world. Outside of the palace the gardens is a adornment. Inside of the gardens is the famous statue of Achiles dying. The Empress was in love with the history of the great Achiles.

CORFU ARCHEOLOGICAL LOCATIONS

TEMPLE OF ARTEMIS

This should give you something to browse through. As I find more, I will post them up for you. If you have anymore questions or need for information, do let me know.

Yeiamas, Chris