Credit Crunch hitting Corfu

The Corfu Forum is the place for you to ask or answer questions about everyday items, accommodation, eating out or just taverna prices on the island of Corfu, like food, drink, car hire, excursions and much more.

Moderator: Al

hellsbells

Credit Crunch hitting Corfu

Post by hellsbells » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:37 pm

I just spoke to my friend from Corfu who owns the Olive Grove in Sidari, and he tells me that business so far this year has been very poor. Although people are coming on holiday, they are eating in their rooms most days and evenings and not going out and eating in the restaurants.

I understand why people are doing this, money is tight, we still want to go on a nice holiday, but are doing it on a budget... but ..... at the same time I feel really sorry for the people of Corfu. The credit crunch is just starting to take effect on them, and I think it will be a hard winter for them this year unless things drastically pick up and the holiday makers start spending more.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Credit Crunch hitting Corfu

Post by Chris » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi HB.

I have been hearing swings and roundabouts. Friends of ours have not long been back from Corfu, and in their words said yes somethings were more expensive, but they put that down to the exchange rate, ie, the fault of the British Pound. They chose to eat where the locals ate, which was a huge difference in price. It was noticed that some businesses had put their prices up, obviously to compensate, but if the tourist see this, then this maybe why they are eating in, or as our friends, going down the alleyways so to speak.

Likewise my sister and family have just come back from Portugal, and they were eating out for between €20 and €40 per night, for a two course meal, puddings for the two children, and drinks all round. Which in the present climate is very good.

Sometimes those working in the holiday trade do not do justice for themselves.

Yeiamas, Chris

alythia47

Post by alythia47 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:29 am

I totally agree that they dont always help themselves with their attitudes to the tourists either. The owners seem to think that holidaymakers have an endless supply of cash and forget that we are under the same restraints because of the credit crunch and are looking for bargains. I dont want to eat in my room or on the cheap when I am on holiday but I dont want to get ripped off either. I have just returned from Dassia and unlike Arilla's last year I didnt see any good value set meals along the high street at all. I booked all inclusive this year but because I like to eat in traditional taverna's we hired a car and went out almost every day but we found that the prices were just so high that it was impossibleto eat out at lunchtime every day as we normally do. I am familiar with the prices in Greece and have watched them going up every year .. which is what you expect, cost of living etc., but I really believe that some of the owners were being stupid with their pricing to say the least and not offering value for money at all. People with families and those on a tight budget like to know what it is going to cost them before they sit down at the table and dont like surprises... set meals with a carafe of wine or a couuple of beers sensibly priced is what they are looking for and I know that this can be done, the owners just need to stop being greedy.
I love Greece and one way or another I will always find the money to go on holiday there however the people who can take Greece or leave it and who are just looking for sunshine will start moving towards Turkey or even Spain where its much cheaper to eat out.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:09 pm

We ate in the local taverna last night. This is 5 km away from the coast, not a single tourist comes there unless they got lost..... Some expats like us frequent the place and are treated as friends.
Not sure if I want it to be invaded by tourists, so I won't tell where it is. But I will testify that prices are still fair, if you know where to go.
This is what we had with the 4 of us:
2 beers (Mythos 0,5 liter)
0.5 liter white wine (okay, not much, cause we had been drinking already)
1 bottle of water
Garlic bread for all
1 large greek salad for 4
2 tzatziki
2 saganaki
3 souvlaki sticks with fries
1 very large pork cutlet with fries
2 extra plates of french fries
Total cost 33 euros
2 complimentary plates of greek yoghurt with honey
You can hardly say this was expensive, can you?

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:57 am

Not really Simon. Don't forget tavernas in resorts have only 5 months to earn a living, whereas the local village taverna is open all year. Renting business space in a resort also is more expensive.
We could of course all go to local village tavernas. But then all resorts would soon have no tavernas anymore.
So we should be prepared to pay a bit extra for the convenience of being able to strawl through the resort to select tonights dining place. Those tavernas that ask more than a bit exra, will soon stop existing due to lack of customers.

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:00 pm

An obvious and simple way of putting Daniel. However, I do not see the tourists going inland, not on a daily or nightly basis. What I see, and having discussed this with someone in the north of the island, is that the Hotliers and Accommodation owners will have something to say, because the knock on effect is people not coming to Corfu because of expensive commodities, next the hotels become empty.

I appreciate as I have said before, that the resort restaurant/taverna owners need to make that more to suffice the winter. Has any though gone in the direction of an all year round season. Obviously there is the problem of transprotation to the island. If there was, would this be an idea.

Yeiamas, Chris

Etsiketsi
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Etsiketsi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Daniel / Simon

I am confused a bit as to why we all go to Corfu.

For myself all I can say is that I go to experience another culture. I can't do that if I stay in a resort cos' I'm surrounded by people who are so similar to myself. What I'm looking for is the Greek way of life and as I am, what I consider to be a discerning person, this means that I have got to seek out the genuine Corfiote they certainly aren't going to come looking for me.

I know of two places where the proprietors only comes back to the Island for the Tourist Season from Germany. If I do nothing but frequent their Tavernas I will experience no Greek Culture at all. This is why we love to visit Nymfes it is so far from the coast that everyone (apart from imigrants) are the nearest thing you will find to a true Corfiote, totally untouched by the tourist market.

Rog

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:13 pm

I appreciate and understand what you are referring to Roger, but by the fact that you regular stay Liapades, which is a holiday resort as such, and that the fact that there are some 50,000 Brits on the island, and that we promote the island such as on here. Would I not be right that we are all at fault for Corfu's eventual demise from its real culture.

Look what happened to Spain over the past 50 or so years, and now they are all running back to the UK. If I fancied Spain I would be there like a shot. House prices dropped from €130,000 to €60,000, and all standing empty. Another story.

I like you, Simon and many others love Corfu, and it will remain at the top of my holiday list for many years to come, but are we not our own worst enemy.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:40 pm

I enjoyed reading that Simon, and understand completely in your lengthy way you have put it. This is similar to what I have tried to say, but in a shorter way, because of not wishing to offend. This is what has happened all across Europe, so why should Corfu be any different. As I said in one post, or maybe another thread, what is stopping all year round holidays on Corfu (which are creeping in in such places as Roda), the answer lies in the fact that there is no transport to the island, by air at least after October, or not in great choice. I too have seen many opportunists in Corfu and other islands who have increased their businesses. I can remember such wonderful places I have stayed in Kontokali and Gouvia ( I will not mention names ), but they started of very small, and our now commodities, including accommodation, car hire, taxi/transfer services, travel guides and agents. and much more. Good luck to them. Great review Simon, thanks alot mate.

Yeiamas, Chris

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:19 pm

Having just returned from Corfu i did find prices in lots of places too high Just how can anyone justify 4 50 for a toastie with 1 cheese slice 1 thin sklice of ham no butter or salad , then next place has it all with chips and salad for 3 50 , some places 3 50 for a Greek salad which was full of stuff then someone else has it for 6 50 with naff all in it and a small chunk of feta ,i do feel that as there are fewer people going now so the owners are hiking there prices up a lot . and im sorry but they are not poor as they mostly all drive around in huge cars mostly brand new , i dont grudge anyone making a good living , just not at my expense , i have been going to Greece also for many years and yes , as here of course prices go up , but when it becomes more expensive than home especially for the drinks then they will harm theyre own industry , folk will go further afield for better value , the food prices in the supermarkets are astranomical , 2 pounds i paid for 4 rolls and the same in the bakers :shock: , would get them for 80 pence here ,sorry but thats nothing to do with the euro at all , any way rant over just off to book my holiday camping somewhere. might be cheaper mind you i dont like tents much unless they are big and full of ouzo and saganaki :lol: :lol:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Depends where you go i guess , still think a fiver or six pounds is dear for salad and one place had chips on there own for 3 50 i mean come on whats that to do with the euro :shock: day,light robbery i say , but we had a choice so we just didnt go to these places . and im no cheapskate money burns a hole in my pocket :lol some places were offering set menu and thats good for folk on a budget . :cool:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:34 pm

:shock: :shock: now you are scaring me :lol: :shock: :razz:

handyman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by handyman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Well,,well when i’m on corfu(Kerkyra) , i never look at the amount,,,,,
I’m on a vacation,,,,,so I use what I have to use,,,I don’t care, but
i'm a stupid NORWEGIAN.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:57 pm

Not at all Handyman, but someone after my own heart. One saves for the holiday, therefore spends on holiday. What I take is what I spend. If I need more, I find a cash machine. A holiday, a time to enjoy, spend and have fun.

Yeiamas, Chris

handyman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by handyman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Chris wrote:

Not at all Handyman, but someone after my own heart. One saves for the holiday, therefore spends on holiday. What I take is what I spend. If I need more, I find a cash machine. A holiday, a time to enjoy, spend and have fun.

Yeiamas, Chris

I second that Chris….and to all you others,
if you don’t use your money when you are there,what about Kerkyra then.
We ,,, the tourist are the people that makes the island lives…..!!!
:shock:

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:06 am

I spend a lot of money in Greece and always have done , but its not so easy when you have a certain amount , obviously folk will look for cheaper places to eat and drink with good quality as well , i dont look at everything i buy , im on holiday so buy what i want , but my point was that some places are almost double the price of us at home , and indeed some of their own places , i just dont know why as its much of a muchness in kassiopi , its all good food just so many different prices , we went to Sidari shopping and there food was lots cheaper there and was very nice , so just makes me wonder thats all :cool:

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:24 am

As I have pointed out before Susie. Visitor numbers are down on Corfu, therefore revenue is not coming in as it should do. Add this to the world wide recession prices have increased. The local traders have increased prices themselves to compensate for the losses before the season has finished. Even the Greek Tourist Minister has made a comment on this, and said it should have not happened. Sadly there are some in all holiday destinations who do think of themselves and not the visitor. A matter of life, it happens everywhere, even in the UK. We also have to remeber, that Greece probably imports a fair bit, and then the islands have to pay for it to get there. Prices in the UK have gone up a lot over the past weeks. Sadly for us, because of th ruined GB Pound, it does not help us on the exchange rate. As we have seen a lotof prices are the same as last year and the years before, but because of our week pound, we are paying more. It is not the Euro.

Yeiamas, Chris

Chris
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by Chris » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:29 pm

Sorry Simon, but where have I felt sorry for the Corfiots, I have not in so many words. What I have reported is exactly what has been reported by the Greek/Corfiot Tourist People and Ministry. With regards to the Corfiot upping prices does in no way mean I am sorry for them because of the down numbers in visitors.The message I am trying to get across is that we all have to expect higher prices, but at the same time we do have the option to look out and find the places that still can offer a better deal on what is required on holiday.

If I feel sorry for anyone it is those who do not realise what is happening in the world today, and how it effects all of us. I too have a small business, and I too am feeling the effects, but at the same time we plod on, keeping everyone happy and trying to give the same service to the best of our ability.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yeiamas, Chris

Nige

Post by Nige » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Interesting topic!! Came back 20th July after 3 weeks on the island and heres my thoughts. The good Tavernas that were always busy say 2/3 years ago have not raised their prices by much at all and so attract alot of peeps looking for good fresh food at afordable prices, some very good deals to be had at lunch with Meze for 2 plus wine 12/16 Euros. The other Tavernas whos food is not so good have raised their prices and they are almost empty, daft!! Evening meal for 2 off a set menu with wine 25 Euros, about a tenner a head. Went to one beachside Taverna that we always visit and he had done alot of improvements, but he had hiked his prices up by 25% to cover the building work, short term fix which will not work as we did not go back!

Nige...

mitera
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post by mitera » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi Nige , when i was in Ag G last year i have to say i found their prices a bit higher than other resorts anyway ,so if they put theirs up much more it would have been too much , some of the tavernas were very nice and some served us frozen food which for a fairly high price as you can imagine i didnt appreciate , Steven's on the Hill was nice , as was Sebastions but neither were cheap , certailnly not the wine , in Sebastions they charged us a lot for the Retsina and when i asked if it was Kourtaki he told me no , as it was more expensive and up market :lol: :lol: when i picked myself off the floor from laughing i did inform him there was no such thing as upmarket Retsina and i already knew it was 1. 35 e in the supermarket , and as ive said a million times yes i know they have to make a profit . but not but that much . on average id say most places are on a par unless you go more to the more traditional places , which is to be expected i guess . :cool: